The top five reasons people do NOT get hired and/or get FIRED:
1) Poor Performance- Attitude can make a big difference in people who are poor performers, but can only go so far if you are consistently making mistakes.
2) Complaining/sense of entitlement-I often hear from my clients that they are tired of hearing their employees complain about hours/salary/duties etc… The second biggest complaint from my clients is when their employees have a sense of entitlement.
3) Lying-Anyone who lies about their skills/qualifications and/or background is asking to be let go or have their job offer rescinded. EVERYTHING is verifiable in today’s market. Even if you do get hired based on a lie, chances are you will be fired eventually.
4) Unprofessional/unlawful conduct-This includes everything from poor hygiene, being regularly late and/or missing work, sharing inappropriate/off color jokes, foul language, inappropriate emails etc…
5) Blaming others/not taking responsibility- You MUST be willing to be accountable for your actions. Employers cannot stand people who are constantly justifying their actions or blaming others. Sometimes just saying “I’m sorry, it will not happen again,” is enough.